Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dhalpurie Roti

Arlene Larsen cooking Dhalpurie Roti on my new Tawa
Dough already to be stuffed with the dhal.

Letting the dough rise some more before filling it with the dhal.

Mixing the flour and water for the dough.

Anna helping Arlene need the dough.

Anna rolling out the dhalpurie roti.. hoping to not let it tear in the process.

Christening (conditioning) the tawa with butter and oil.

Anna hard at work rolling the roti.

Making Dhalpurie Roti with Arlene and Anna.

Recently I came across some Trinidadian women on Facebook... I was sooo happy to find out that they lived in UT and that they lived close to me. So we had dinner with them and their husbands (who served missions in the West Indies) and we had a blast talking about our country and all the wonderful food there. So it was pretty much decided with the early introductions that we would soon all get together and try our hand at making some of the local dishes.

Of course I was definitely interested in learning how to cook my fav. foods so Arlene and Anna thought that they would try to make Dhalpurie Roti ( the most difficult roti to make...ever). The process was long.

Anna started the day before by soaking the split peas, patching them in a hot pot, adding seasonings and grinding it into a fine powder. The next day she and Arlene came to my home to help me Christen (condition) my new Tawa, because I didn't know how, and we started to kneed the flour. Very simple ingredients, flour, baking powder and water.

Then we waited and let the dough rise, then we stuffed dough with the dhal. That was hard, I had to stretch out the dough to the size of my hand and cup it like a bowl and fill it with the dhal before pinching the bottom and setting down to rise again a bit more.

After that long process of filling the dough to the right amount, and letting it rise. We then had to roll it out, without tearing it so that the dhal stays in the dough and doesn't fall out on the floor or the Tawa. I wasn't very good at rolling it out and for some strange reason I had the most awkward shaped roti!

So I started to cook on the Tawa and let Anna continue with the rolling. Arlene showed me how to cook the roti on the Tawa. Which included basting the Tawa with a mixture of oil and butter on the bottom, them placing the roti on top, and rubbing some of the same oil/butter mixture on the roti. Then I press the sides down and let that cook, then flip and do the same and fold it with the paddles (forgot the Indian name for those) and placing them in a bowl lined with paper towels.

I think we made almost 30 dhalpurie roti. And it only took 3 hours to do it all. This is not including the part that Anna did the night before by preparing the dhal. That probably took about 6 hours all together.

So while this is everyone's favorite type of roti... we definitely wont be making it anytime soon without another Tawa and another pair of extra hands! ... But it was fabulous!

1 comment:

Elaine Duree said...

LOve IT blog more like this you'll be sure to hook everyone!! YUM