Friday, February 26, 2010

My Uncle Jr.

So today (feb 26, 2010) my favorite uncle passed away. I just thought that I would write a few things about how great he was to me and his family. When we first moved to Trinidad I was about 12 years old. We didn't have alot and we didn't have anywhere to stay at first. Then after a few months we moved into my grandparents house. My grandfather passed away when I was 1 yrs old and my grandmother was living in Canada at the time.

My uncle didn't have much to give, but he had a big heart. When we moved in we had nothing to sit on, sleep in, or cook with ... we were living out of a cooler and didn't have money for a fridge. We had a tv with bunny ears that we watched and my mother spent most of the week everyday doing loads of laundry by hand and hanging them on the line outside. She didn't have time to cook. One day he came over with chicken. duck, vegetables and more. He came to make us a meal. He knew we were living off of bread and cheese and powdered milk. He took whatever money he had an made us one of the best meals in my life. There was so much food that we had to give it to the neighbors because it wouldn't fit in the cooler that we had!

He was a generous man like that, he had a very different personality then his siblings which was great. He spent a lot of time cooking, he loved to feed people. He always told me that as long as people are full they are happy! Not to mention his food was something to look forward to, everyone that knew him loved him and his food! It was like an explosion of flavor in your mouth like you wouldn't believe... maybe that was because of all the pepper in the food.My dad always said "Junior cooks a pot of pepper with a bit of duck in it"!

The best part about having a uncle like Junior was that he was nice to me, he listened to me and never forgot about me when there was a party going on. He would make me, and only me a huge pot of my favorite food, just as his way of saying ... I love you kid! I will miss his sweet, kind personality... his food and of course his wonderful cooking stories.... You will be missed Uncle Jr.

We all love you tons!

No comments: